Pink Paw Print

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Why Summer Rainy Days Are Secretly The Best



I'm definitely one of those people who appreciate the sunshine during the summer months. There's nothing more mood-brightening than waking up with the sun shining and the birds chirping, knowing the beach and a good book is just waiting for you after you grab some breakfast! On that note, I think gray/white skies and gloomy-feeling weather is the absolute worst! If there's no rain, I feel like it might as well just be sunny out, instead of some uncomfortable in-between. It really can make my mood plummet because going outside isn't as cheery, and if you go shopping or out to eat on a day like that, everyone else seems to move pretty slowly. There's just a whole lotta lack of energy on days like that! But today, it's pouring outside. For my summer work, I took on an additional shift with my digital copy editing job at Odyssey, so I spent time today snuggled up on the couch near my dog (Pep's pretty old so he does better chillin' on one of his doggy beds rather than the couch with me!) while completing my assignment for the day.

Even though it's not sunny and happy with bright blue skies and puffy white clouds and rabbits and squirrels romping around the yard per usual ~* #SoConnecticut *~, the buckets and buckets of rain pouring down is pretty... majestic, really! I'm awed and humbled by nature and science and the beauty of the things humans cannot control. Personally, the only thing I think that could make this weather even better would be if there were a lot of thunder and maybe even some occasional lightning. Let me just say this: I FRICKIN' LOVE THUNDER. Especially summer thunderstorms. They makes me feel so incredibly cozy, and all I wanna do is grab a book and some slices of pizza with some yummy-smelling candles lit in the background in case the power goes out.

So maybe even after reading that, you're still wondering how can rainy days during the summer compare with sunny beach days (or pool days, if you're into that... but chlorine is an endocrine disruptor, so I stay away ;) !!), games played out on the lawn, hikes at state parks, or any other outdoor activity that can pretty much only best be enjoyed on sunny days? I don't know about you, but during the regular academic year I'm constantly "go-go-go!" Ya know what I mean?? When it's stormy out, you have a great excuse to just sit around and stay in. Although we live in an era and culture where more is more and less is less, and we are always encouraged and expected to always be doing something, sometimes it's nice to pull away from that world for a short bit. I am one of the hardest workers I know (but my father is undoubtedly the hardest worker I know!!), and I usually forget to actually take. a. break. for a change, and do some of the things I love the most :p!! Reading anything + everything, binge-watching "The Amazing Race" on Netflix, learning the Russian language on Duolingo (!!! Yes, I'm currently learning Russian! I'll be sure to write another post about this soon, lol!), coloring in adult coloring books while playing calming music or ASMR videos in the background...allllllll that good stuff is so perfect to do during a summer storm.

Rainy days in the summer, more specifically, allow you to partake in these things without feeling guilty about takin' it easy for a change, or about being a bit of a homebody because it's the summer so... It also conveniently prevents any guilt that you might feel if you spent a sunny day indoors, which is something that I get panicky/cranky about, haha! So this post is for some of my readers out there who love being all introverted (yes yes, I know I'm an extrovert, but I'm the most introverted of the extroverts...) and staying snuggly in pajamas for the whole day (#LUXURYYYYYY) as much as I do, and let this serve as a reminder to us that summer rainy days are actually just as awesome in many ways as the stereotypically beautiful sunny weather days!

Like many things in life, what can originally seem like a bummer (rain, wahh!) can lead you to the greatest of days, yet (intellectual stimulation or relaxation, yeahh!!!!) Ahaha! :p

Anyone else as passionate about summer thunderstorms as I am!?
xoxo, Brooke

4 comments:

  1. AMEN! I use rainy days are lay in bed and watch movies all day days. It's the best!

    Rachel / www.seashellsandsparkles.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Mexico City, and it's really really rainy here during the summer. Truth be told, I hate rainy days, but your post has got me thinking maybe it's not so bad after all! Happy rainy summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! :p I'm so glad I could help to put a positive spin on things!! <3 ahaha, happy rainy summer to you, as well!! :D *casually happydances all around in the rain*
      xoxo

      Delete