Pink Paw Print

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Books You Should Read This Summer

My favorite time to read is truly during the summer months. I know, I know... it's only the beginning of May! We still have the rest of the month (or for me, just a mere few weeks until I graduate on May 22nd! YAYZ!!) before it's technically the summer, but this fact certainly isn't stopping me from daydreaming about summer reading! Even if you have a summer internship or job, there is still somehow always more time for reading than during the "academic" months, I feel. Every night in the summer, I love putting away my laptop, Kindle + cell phone, and just cuddling up on the couch with a good book and my pug-doggy right near by (because Peppy is the best pug there is, for realz.) Without further ado, these are the ten books on my to-read list this summer and you should read them too, of course, so we can discuss ;) ! Ahaha! And, if you want to see more inspiration for books to read that are also on my own "To-Read" list...why yes there are over 3,000 books.... *innocent face* lol!!, then be sure to add me on GoodReads!

1 \\ "The Sociology Book" by DK Publishing
*via

I think, especially with all of the political turmoil in this day in age, it's very important to read up on this and understand how populations of people "work." I never took a class about sociology during my college career, so I want to educate myself on this topic that is ~unfortunately~ currently foreign to me!


2 \\ True Prep: It's A Whole New Old World by Lisa Birnbach
*via

BECAUSE PREPPINESSSSSSSSSS. *happydances all around* lol!! :p


3 \\ Adulting: How to Become a Grown-Up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps by Kelly Williams Brown
*via

Considering I'll be moving into my first [[rented]] apartment for grad school coming up, I think it's important that I acquire as many tips on being successful as a young adult as possible.


4 \\ Philosophy 101: From Plato and Socrates to Ethics and Metaphysics, an Essential Primer on the History of Thought by Paul Kleinman
*via

Even though I took a class in college last year called "The History of Ancient Philosophy," I still feel like there's so much that the class didn't cover (I'm like, 98% sure that we never covered Descartes or a bunch of other great thinkers!) and this fill certainly help me to fill in the missing gaps!


5 \\ The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom
*via

My mom really loved this book, and has been asking me to read it since, well, pretty much forever! Apparently, even though Albom writes in a highly accessible way, the stories he tells are still really great -- I'm excited to read this book club classic!


6 \\ The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney
*via

Personally, I am an only child with no siblings so the topic of sibling interactions really interests me! Or, in other words, I'm pretty much fascinated to learn more about family dynamics that involve brothers and sisters because I've never experienced having any, myself; this way, I can live vicariously through the characters of this novel! :p


7 \\ Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
*via

I was never assigned to read this classic book in high school! *gasp* So I really think I ought to get on that, ahaha! ;)


8 \\ Success Under Stress by Sharon Melnick
*via

Because me + stress = Yikes McGee!!! I'm sure we could all pick up ~a bunch~ of tips from this book that will really help us to succeed in future stressful situations!


9 \\ Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World by Adam M. Grant
*via

I'm really fascinated by out-of-the-box thinkers, and I've been called one, myself, by others who know me well! This undoubtedly seems like an inspiring, thought-provoking read that will dare readers to dream a little bigger.


10 \\ In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
*via

In general, I don't read as many non-fiction books as I really should, and after having taken a class called "Forensic Psychology" this semester, I would absolutely ~love~ to learn more about crimes and murders and the law -- it's scary stuff, and it's real stuff, which makes it even scarier!!


What books are on your to-read list this summer? I'd love ANY book recommendations what-so-ever!
xoxo, Brooke

2 comments:

  1. Great list. I didn't know what to expect when I started reading your post but I am intrigued by many of these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gulara!! <3 Let me know if you wind up reading any of them -- I'd love to hear what you think! :) xoxo

      Delete