Pink Paw Print

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

How To Take Care of Yourself

Recently, I have not been taking care of myself.

I've been in a little "Brooke-rut". I'm luckily less anxious than I've been in a very long time, but sometimes when I don't feel panicky, I wind up feeling sad in its stead. I've been eating too many potato chips/french fries at every friggin' meal and neglecting to wash my face with my 3-step skin care system and have been getting about 6.5 hours of sleep only when I know that I personally need 9 and haven't gone to the gym in over a week which is showing during yoga class when I can barely hold any of the poses and haven't written a blog post on here since LAST THURSDAY.

I'm a hawtt mess, atm *flips my hair saucily*, and I'm going to do something about it. To fix it. Actually… many things. Here are some ways to start taking better care of yourself, if you're in a similar situation!

  1. Wake up at the same time every morning, regardless of how much you slept the previous night
  2. Hit the gym first thing when you wake up
  3. Use an amazing-smelling body wash in the shower after (hopefully organic/non-toxic!!) 
  4. Listen to positive, upbeat music only - say "buhhbye" now to those sad songs!
  5. Use nourishing hair care products avoiding sulfates and alcohol-based (think: drying, af) chemicals
  6. Actually wash your face with whatever routine works for you (some people only need soap and water, whereas others actually need to take pills to control acne - just don't neglect your precious skin!)
  7. Repeat a mantra in your head whenever you need during the day; if you're feeling sad or grumpy or lethargic or unmotivated or scared or worried, let this phrase make you feel all comfy-cozy and safe inside. I personally tend to get panic attacks first thing when I wake up in the morning about every other week (hey, it used to be every morning! baby steps, baby steps~~) or so because I tend to have nightmares about past events extremely often (#funtimez!!!!), so this 3-part spiritual thought calms me down: my God is good, my God loves me, my God will keep me safe and protected.
  8. Stock up on healthy snacks so you won't resort to eating five Lindt truffles at midnight instead of carrot sticks w/ hummus (omg the shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *a piece of my soul withers and dies a little bit*)
  9. Organize your room because I've learned the hard way that when you have a pile of clothes on your floor, whether clean or not, there will be SPIDERS……………………… *insert sick/ill face emoji here*
  10. YOGAAAA <3
  11. Watch these creepy ASMR videos that will simultaneously brighten your mood and relax you.
  12. Surround yourself with positive people. Not everybody is gonna wind up being your absolute best friend, and hey, that's ok! Some people will be your study buddies, others will be the people you sob on the phone to about the guy you ended things with, and still others will be people you wave to when you see them around even though you never actually grabbed coffee like you planned to, once upon a time. On this note, it's not weird to tell someone that you think they seem really cool (platonically/as friends or otherwise) and would love to get together some time!
  13. So don't laugh buuut I call it my VAG board (it stands for "Visions & Goals", ha ha ha okay funny Vag okay we're done now~~)  where I plan out where I am and where I'm going. (Side note: I try not to think about where I've been. For me, the past just causes me heartache to think about and it's okay to stop torturing yourself. I used to be worried I would forget all the details of the past so I would replay events over in my head - break ups, awkward moments, even happy times, everything. The truth is, you can spend the energy on having new happy experiences that won't ache so much when you think about them in the moment.)
  14. Wear clothing that makes you feel the most you, no matter what anybody says! This also goes for hairstyle - let 'em sip the haterade if they must, ya know!?
How do you take care of yourself?
xoxo, Brooke

10 comments:

  1. I'm so happy I came across this post! We all get into ruts. They are no fun, but realizing you are in a rut and trying to do something about it is the perfect way to start! Listening to happy music, eating healthy, and going to the gym always seem to snap me back to my old self :)

    Amanda
    http://anchoredtosunshine.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! <3 Thank you! And that is all definitely true. Eating healthy is a biggie…. I really got to get on that! :p

      Delete
  2. Um... I may or may not have a huge pile of clothes on the floor that I'm sure are hiding a million little spider babies... but I completely agree with all the others especially #7!

    ♥, Brooke
    https://livethepreplife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha OMG that is so terrifying!!! :p Yes, #7 really really helps!! <3

      Delete
  3. Great timing. I'm in need of de-stressing and taking better care of myself after several major health issues the last two years. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 You are very welcome!! I hope you're feeling a lot less stressed out nowadays, and just overall "healthier", in general! :D <3

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love this! I really needed to read this- and I love #10!!!

    Mackenzie | www.mackenziekendall.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww!! Thank you so much, and I'm so so glad that it resonated with you! :D #10 is my fave too, not gonna lie ahaha! <3

      Delete
  5. I think its the change in seaons (or a toddler who refuses to sleep!) but I have been dragging myself out of a rut for a week! Working at home it can be easy to get in a rut and not feel like doing anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww man, I can only imagine!! I'm only 21 so no toddler for me just yet ;) hahah but I definitely understand the working at home thing - it could help to occasionally switch up the venue (coffee shop, anyone!? :p) if ever possible!! <3

      Delete