Pink Paw Print

Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Blogging World: Keepin' It Real

Sooo just a warning that this is post is a little (okay okay more than a little!) rant-ish and vv emotional (lol, blame it on the misfortune of lady cramps, lolz) but when have you ever known me to write non-emotion-provoking posts, am I right!? ;) ahaha! *embraces sweet, sweet bottle of Advil*


< rant > Since when has blogging become a sport? Okay, so maybe not like football…maybe more like chess? Mental agility needed at all times, calculating four steps ahead, seeing what others do then trying to do it better - you know the drill. A chore for many people rather than a method of relaxing. You can't only post blog articles… ooooh no, you've got to be on top of the social media game, as well. You've got to tweet, pin, 'gram - you've got to do it all.

Personally, I really do enjoy social media - I'd even go so far to say that I truly love it! <3 However, many bloggy friends I've been talking to recently have told me that this is so much more than they've bargained for by signing up to create a blog and I can understand what they mean.

For me, though, I want blogging to be a creative outlet first and a business second. I want to talk about the things I love and share them, as well as my life pretty much (lawlz, how sappy of me *wipes away little tears*), with all of you. Naturally, when you're a part of an industry, you need to keep up on industry news. You need to read other blogs. I see people writing things that are heartless, or topics they think they should write about simply because they think their audience would like these things: Like for a like! Follow for a follow! Comment for a comment! Where is the -genuine-? Where is the personality?

Of course I hope to write about things you would like to read about - but it wouldn't be my blog if I didn't actually, genuinely enjoy these things, too! I've found that bloggers keep putting so much emphasis on what they think would "sell" (not literally sell, but what would get the most views). Recently, I attended a webinar for entrepreneurs and bloggers (name of webinar withheld out of respect, of course) that said bloggers should only post content that we think our audience would like to read. The day I post about things that I think others would like, even if I don't genuinely promote it and support it personally? Is the day I would quit blogging for good.

I've decided to cut back a bit on sponsored posts and promotional posts - yes, I am definitely still excited about promoting books and brands that I love!! Just going to be more selective about it :p! - and try to write posts that really resonate with people - real issues, real fashions (like idk about you but I cannot afford $300 shoes…. like there are good causes out there to donate some of that money to -the environment, animals, curing cancer-, people!!!!), just keepin' it real in general. < /rant >

My favorite posts to write are the personal, deep ones because I feel like those matter to me a lot AND many of you can relate and therefore feel less alone <3. I'd really like to do more of those in the future and also fashion photo shoots! I haven't done enough of those and I've got more than a few fun shoots planned for the upcoming autumn season (because autumn is the greatest, ahhhhh!! *waves hands wildly about* :D :D :D).

Bloggers, do you know what I mean? Non-bloggers, how do you keep it real while partaking in your own daily passions?
xoxo, Brooke

12 comments:

  1. I completely agree with this post Brooke! It's so easy to get caught up in all this and forget your whole purpose in blogging. Staying genuine is important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! Definitely!!!You get what I'm sayin', girlie!! :D ahaha! <3

      Delete
  2. Yeah... I'm probably not buying $300 shoes either. I feel like there's a big divide between blogging to enjoy it, and blogging to pay bills. I'm not opposed to making money from blogging, but no one should sell their soul to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, our bank accounts will love us for it, am I right!? :p And exactly!!! That is such a good way to put it! <3

      Delete
  3. Brooke - you are AMAZING! Loved this post and feel the same way. People need to be genuine - or don't blog at all!
    xoxo, Jamie
    www.thefashionnewcomer.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you 100%. The only social media I have for my blog is Twitter and it is the saddest little page. That's the one part I just can't groove with--coming up with a social media plan for something that is pretty much I hobby seems totally unnecessary! Great post :)

    Ashley | Sunday Brunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that you agree, Ashley!! <3 Twitter is so much fun, I must admit! :p lol!!

      Delete
  5. That is so true. I mean, of course we all want the page views, shares, likes and comments. But it shouldn't be discouraging not to get them - especially if you're coming from the heart with your posts. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Andrea!!! <3 You understand me, lol!! :D Aww thank you SO much I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!!

      Delete
  6. *cue the clapping hands emoji* Such. A good. Post.
    - Ruth S. | www.reallytrulyruth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahaha, thank you so much, Ruth!!! <3 I am so glad you enjoyed it!!

      Delete