Pink Paw Print

Monday, June 1, 2015

Book Delight Book Tour: "Home is Where Your Boots Are"

As an English major, I'm used to reading hardcore literature, all of the time. However!…


Home is Where Your Boots Are by Kalan Chapman Lloyd was a great respite from all of the labor of analysis and the hidden deeper meanings to be unearthed that I conquered this previous school year. Reading this book is the equivalent of a party for your eyeballs! <---Ugh, fiiiine, I'll let you quote me on that…. *gives you my classic Almighty Sass Hand*. Let me just say that this book was right up my alley, considering I have a Pinterest board called "One Day I'll Live in the South"!  I believe in many things in life, friends, and wearing cowboy boots is one of them.

The story, which at first seems like your normal chick-lit novel…only to later develop into a morbid legal thriller (I don't want to give away too much, but just trust me on this one - the "creepiness" factor is definitely present!), is about a sassy southern lawyer who gives up her ritzy, successful life in Texas and returns to her native Oklahoma after she witnesses her fiancé cheating on her with his secretary. He was clearly a real winner! She isn't actually too broken up about their relationship ending (is it too harsh to say her fiancé was the King Prick of All Pricks orrrrrr!?); rather, she is in mourning for the loss of her old Type-A, all-her-ducks-in-a-row lifestyle, in general. I mean…aren't we all, sistah, aren't we all… The vast majority of the story is then about her attempting to rebuild her life when old romances (and new!) are rekindled, murder strikes the town, and #girlpower takes on a whole new meaning.


On that note, the narrative voice of the book makes you feel as if an old friend is telling you this story; I felt entirely at ease with Lloyd's words, as reading her work makes you feel like you're at Girl's Night! I absolutely loved the strength of sisterhood that this book promotes, and how women can achieve great things when they help one another out. It really made me smile to see this as a major theme in the text!

Everything I've mentioned thus far has been really positive, but for a well-rounded review I suppose it's important to ask: were there any negatives? Well, there was one... I found some remarks in the book to be rather insensitive about mental illness: characters calling each other "anorexic", poking fun at the idea of going to therapy (including a line encouraging "getting even" by writing "Die Bitch" on somebody's car as a better method of healing than therapy), and mocking depression - "Crazy ass Lyle Stephens. Threatens to kill himself about every other month. I almost just told him to jump this morning" (p. 41). Personally, I am someone who advocates for mental health awareness and to end the stigma against mental illness, so it was a little alarming to read those parts of the novel, but the average reader would most likely just laugh those parts off and move on. 

Also, heading back to the positives here - something I loved is that the way in which the characters are introduced is the same style that can be found in Dante's The Divine Comedy. Similarly to how Dante introduces a character into the scene by having them speak or complete an action before actually explaining who the person is and what his or her importance is, Lloyd tends to humorously bring a character into the story, and then follows up with a paragraph explaining more about him or her. In general, the character development in this book is chock-full of vivid physical descriptions. You can completely picture each character in your mind, without a doubt. [Casual Field Note: The father of the protagonist sounds like my soulmate, I mean… you had me at "'hot nerd' look" ...no shame…: "He was tall and muscled even at fifty, with dark eyes and hair; his wire-framed glasses gave him that “hot nerd” look, according to Mama" (Lloyd, 11).] #marrymeplz #now.


Bottom line, though: if you're are looking for a way to spend a beach trip or a lazy afternoon cuddled up with a lightweight blanket on the hammock in your backyard, try taking this book with you for a little dose of Southwestern charm!


Home is Where Your Boots Are is the first book in a series. The second book is titled: These Boots Are Made For Butt-Kickin' and is due out June 2015! Check out the author's website: http://www.kalanchapmanlloyd.com and feel free to tweet at her: @KalanCLloyd ! You can purchase the book on Amazon at this link: http://www.amazon.com/Home-Where-Your-Boots-Are/dp/0557731429 .

Disclosure: I have received compensation for this post via Book Delight Book Tours; however, all opinions stated are my own.

How excited are you to read this book!?
xoxo, Brooke

13 comments:

  1. I was literally looking for a book yesterday and was getting so frustrated at Barnes and Noble because I couldn't find one that sounded good! Ordering it from Amazon now :) Thanks for the recommendation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh!! Isn't that just the most annoying thing ever when that happens!? Haha!! I'm so glad I could help out! <3

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great summer beach read! I love the occasional chick-lit/ light novel. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! For sure - it definitely is!! I love them on occasion, too! <3

      Delete
  3. I think it would be a fun read! I'm gonna check it out! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! I'm so glad my post inspired you, lol!! Let me know what you think! <3

      Delete
  4. This looks awesome! I'm adding it to my must-read list as we speak :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it!, do it!, do it! <--- chanting, hahahah!! When you get to reading it, tell me if you like it! <3

      Delete
  5. I think this book needs to be added to my ever going to-read list. Great Review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely!! That's a good choice, haha! :p And aww, thank you SO much!! I'm so flattered that you like it! <3

      Delete
  6. I definately have to read this. The chick-lit novel, gone thriller sounds interesting. And although I'm from Denmark I have a small obsession with the South :)

    Loevens makeup rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you definitely should - let me know what you think when you've finished reading it!! And lol!!! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who's obsessed with the South!!! <3

      Delete
  7. wow need to check this out haha! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete