Pink Paw Print

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Art of Making (Blogger) Friends

Ahh yes, the art of making (blogger) friends. Something that I've come to learn in the blogging world is that - much like the movie Mean Girls - there are "cliques" of people who consider each other "blogging friends". Much like my real-world persona, I don't really ever have one set "group" of friends. I don't mind being a "lone-wolf", independent type; actually, I enjoy it a lot because it allows you to meet really sweet, amazing people who you might not have met otherwise if you were more attached to one specific group.
*via This is exactly what I'm aiming to avoid, you know!?
This also applies to me when it comes to blogging! I know a handful of people, personally, who blog but then all the rest are people who gets millions of views on their blog daily (whereas mine gets in the hundreds - which, hey, isn't half bad for only three months of blogging!! *happydance*). I'd love to meet more people who blog, but I wouldn't want to be artificial about doing so, you know?? Many times I see bloggers "befriend" each other simply to ensure that people will be writing comments on their posts. You can be sure that every time I get a comment on a post, I frickin' love whoever wrote it because it seems so genuine. I want all of my comments to be genuine! I wouldn't want any that were simply, you know, "comment for a comment! like for a like!" because I try to make sure that what I say has substance to it, and I would hope that comments would follow suit and that my posts will attract like-minded people, in the sense that they, too, appreciate that substance rather than frivolousness. Although blogging can get isolating, particularly when you don't get much interaction on a post, I deffs don't believe in climbing some social ladder to raise ranking in a virtual hierarchy of people who like to write things and then post them on the internet!

Bloggers and non-bloggers alike, do you have any good ideas of ways to make genuine connections with other bloggers that aren't simply based on a "comment on my blog so I'll comment on yours" type of relationship?
xoxo, Brooke

15 comments:

  1. For me I found a handful of blogs that I could relate too, by reading and commenting we sorta form a friendship, the next step could be to become FB friends-bounce ideas off each other that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea!! I think it would be lovely to have some friends to bounce ideas off of and gain inspiration from - what smart thinking! <3

      Delete
  2. I've found a couple through accidental encounters, they've often popped up on my blog and I've got curious, and vice versa. I wouldn't call us friends in the sense that I could call them up at 3am and cry down the phone to them, but it's a different kind of friendship, and to be honest, it's all so new! So who knows how it'll pan out... it's very exciting :-) x

    strangemademe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, yes I definitely know exactly what you mean!! Everything is new, for sure, and that's what's so exhilarating about blogging, in general! xo

      Delete
  3. I have gotten to know a few other bloggers mostly from commenting and consistently reading their blogs, as well as through blogging facebook groups, and joining in on swaps. There are a lot of different ways to connect with other bloggers and develop an online friendship. It is fun getting to know someone through written words. Connecting on social media outlets is another way to get to know someone. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, great point! I usually focus on connecting through blogging groups on Facebook, but you are so right - social media, in general, is a great way to meet others! <3

      Delete
  4. Hundreds of daily views for just 3 months of blogging is all kinds of awesome! That's a great achievement! :]

    I'm not a fan of people who drop by + comment just so they can leave their link behind. I understand that people are busy and whatnot, and I'd never expect anyone to read every single word I wrote (as you can probably tell from this comment, I tend to be rather verbose), but comments on blogs are akin to conversations in real life! So I like the substance.

    I have yet to meet any of my blogger friends, but I honestly think there are a lot that I'd be good friends with in real life! I met one of them through a cookie swap I did late last year, and we've gotten to be really good friends. We send each other care packages! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, people who just leave a short generic comment and leave their link come across spammy. I always leave my blog link with my comments, especially if it is a blog that's new to me. This is just so they can find me, see who I am, connect with me and yes maybe check out my content. But this is also a great way to connect with people and other bloggers.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha, why thank you!! *takes a grand bow* I try!!! Omg… you had me at COOKIE SWAP!!!

      Delete
  5. I agree, I don't want to get a comment just so that person can get one back. When commenting on blogs I try to pick posts that I actually have an interest in. I only like to leave comments if I genuinely have something to say or ask. I am also trying to figure out the whole making friends thing in the blogging world. I would love to connect with like-minded people who understand the whole blogging, vlogging and social media aspect of my life.

    I think the best way to meet and get know people is through finding blogs that you genuinely like and just comment and reach out to bloggers over social media.

    Ashley
    ashleygabrielle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, being genuine is definitely the way to go!! Actually, now that you mention it, I'm not familiar with many vloggers, which is another really cool aspect to the blogging world… I'll be sure to reach out!! :)

      Delete
  6. I think the best way I've gotten to know other bloggers is through FB groups. That allows for a bit more interaction than just leaving comments, but I've definitely 'met' some other cool bloggers just via comments. I also don't like leaving a comment for a comment. That just seems fake. If I leave a comment on a post (like this one!) it's because I genuinely have a reply :-)....it doesn't bother me at all if they don't come to my blog and leave me a comment because I don't feel like that's what its all about! It sounds like you're doing great for just 3 months in!!! Keep doing what you doing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, well I appreciate this comment of yours so much! <3 I definitely agree that FB groups are the main go-to for meeting others. Ah, thank you so much for the encouragement! I will continue on!! :)

      Delete
  7. A very wise friend with a popular blog (that I've been friends with since WAY before we started our little diddy a couple months ago) gave me some sage advice which is that if you do it to monotenize or seek the proverbial "like" or "comment", you won't last long. You have to be blogging for the right reasons, and the masses (and friends) will follow. I enjoy the facebook groups and such because it introduces me to blogs (like this one!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true!! Your friend is definitely "very wise" as you say! Oh yes, gotta love the Facebook groups! :p <3

      Delete