Pink Paw Print

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Confessions of a Workaholic

SPRING BREAK 2015 IS FINALLY HERE!!! You guys, today was the first day since winter vacation that I actually took a break from doing work… but even during winter vacation, I was studying for the GREs and such so I wasn't necessarily taking a break then, actually. *sigh*!

Today I sat on the couch in my sunroom all day eating as much food as I could possible stuff into my face having really great home-cooked meals (courtesy of my mama bear), icing/heating my lower back that I hurt very very badly packing up all my stuff to take back home for the next few weeks, and alternated between reading the March issue of InStyle magazine and The Paris Wife by Paula McLain. Something I felt kept happening was that without the pressure of focusing on homework, my thoughts kept drifting to tricky stuff (aka how I'm still not over being dumped from like 2.5 weeks ago). Without something to truly occupy my thoughts - don't get me wrong, I adore InStyle magazine and the novel is really, really compelling! - I found myself ruminating over things I honestly don't even want to think about and wish that I was just over already.
*via ^^^^Literally my life in a pie chart...
Although sometimes that's why I tend to throw myself into my work - to block out unwanted thoughts - as I've mentioned in previous posts, my family's work ethic and private school reallllly instilled the value of working hard. "Relax" and "taking a break" just aren't in my vocabulary. The truth is, as soon as I get out of a class, I head to a comfy study spot and begin doing the assignment due for the next class coming up in a few days. In high school, procrastination was honestly the death of me, so now that I'm in my junior year of college, I find that it's just too hard to allow myself to procrastinate ever again - I don't want to let the horrible monster that is anxiety run amok, you know!?
*via ^^^^ Once upon a time this might have been me…but now? Nope nope nope, never again.

I wish that I could feel less guilty taking a breather - I know how important it is to do so in order to prevent that feeling of being "burnt-out", because TRUST ME I've been there... omg…. I also wish there was a way to relax without unwanted thoughts of aforementioned heartbreak-casuing gentleman creeping back in. Last week, I saw a bumper sticker on a car that said "Some days, you just need to make your own sunshine." Preeeeeeeach, bumper sticker, preach! If you guys have any advice about avoiding feelings of guilt or heartbreak, I'd be forever grateful~~~ <3 haha, but really though!!

Are you taking a true "break" of your own during this Spring Break?
xoxo, Brooke

4 comments:

  1. For spring break, I am visiting a college. I won't truly be taking a break, but at least I get to go out of state.
    Mikayla | www.aseersuckerstateofmind.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. College visits are always exciting! Hahah, sure! Going out of state still counts as an adventure/a break! :p

      Delete
  2. I'm totally embracing my spring break! I was even surprised by my dad and he came to bring me home for the week! I am soaking up every ounce of love and relaxation I can get before I'm forced to go back to school for that last final push of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! That is so sweet of your dad! Hahaha "that last final push of the semester"… you summed that up so accurately! *sigh*

      Delete