Pink Paw Print

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Writing in a Journal

This morning when I woke up, I was certainly feeling celebratory - two snow days in a row!? Ummm, yes please!! But at the same time, I was also feeling a bit… drained. I always put 101% into everything I do - whether that's forgetting to take my vitamins every morning (oops!?), completing my homework for class a few days early, or brushing my teeth like a champion. These "simple" tasks really do add up, ultimately requiring a lot of energy! Although there are "quiet hours" in my dorm, it doesn't stop the total randos passing through at around midnight shouting things. Here is last night's example:


Dude 1: Dude, you're being a real [jerk]. (Note: the original word was not, indeed, "jerk")
Dude 2: Dude, YOU'RE being a [jerk]!!!
[Dude 1 & Dude 2 laugh it off and walk into the stairwell to head upstairs]

All I could think was……………………….plz be quiet. plz plz plz.

Something that helps me keep my sanity in check when all I want to do is curl up in my Camel-printed comforter and hot pink polka-dotted blanket is to write in my beloved red Moleskin notebook where I write literally everything and anything… "total randos" doesn't just apply to Dude 1 and Dude 2, but also to my "journal"! To-do lists? You betcha! Goals and dreams? But of course! Poetry? I dabble.

I used to think journaling was such a commitment. That I'd have to write down every detail of every day to chart the course of my life and make sure I wasn't regressing or making choices that weren't on par with my ultimate goals. I'm not a commitment-phobe when it comes to other people by any means, but when it comes to making commitments to myself, now that's when a little bit of panic sets in. I remember the 21 days I went gluten-free for having a sensitivity, but I just couldn't do it anymore, even though it made me feel better. Forget what you've heard, friends, "pizza" is actually my middle name! *starts drooling on keyboard casually*

I also thought journaling was creepy. What if somebody wrote down all these thoughts about you, and you had no idea about it!? What a violation! Not actually a violation, per se, but you know what I'm getting at, haha - go with it! I remember when I was a little girl I would write about my boyfriends at the time. To be honest, I think I knew more about the concept of "love" back then than I do now! I think we all did...

The truth is, though, that keeping a journal is neither a huge commitment nor creepy! You don't have to write your whole life story in it, nor do you have to write about other people. You can make up your own rules and allow it to become a safe place to explore emotions, thoughts, draw little doodles, and anything else you might want.

Check out these super-cute journals; I highly encourage you to buy one and start your own!!

Click here to buy me!

Click here to buy me! (pssst, this is the one I use!!)


Click here to buy me!


Click here to buy me!

Click here to buy me!
Do you write in a journal? Which one is your favorite?
xoxo, Brooke

8 comments:

  1. Love the "Keep Calm and Carry On" journal! So British :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! I actually thought of you when I found it!! <3

      Delete
  2. I kept a handwritten journal for about 12-ish years until grad school happened and I ran out of time to write by hand, so my blog has taken its place! I do really miss it though. :/ I use a Moleskine notebook as my workout journal though! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW 12 years!!! That's so so incredible! I'm glad that your blog has provided you with a familiar sense of fulfillment in that way - I'm still a bit hesitant about, you know, determining exactly how much to share on this blog without "over sharing", haha! Ahh, aren't Moleskine notebooks just the best!?! :)

      Delete
  3. I love journaling. I used to write in a journal almost daily, but once I got married... well, let's just say that I used to write mostly about boys... and now the hunt is finished so there's less back and forth to write about. Isn't that terrible? I can't believe I'm admitting that online. I guess that's oversharing, but oh well. Now, I update every once in awhile, but I mostly just use my blog to document my life. Thanks for sharing. I might just have to break out a handwritten journal again some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that is so funny!! But then again, I would imagine that being married/having "the hunt" wind up successful is far more magical than writing about them! That's so great that you use your blog to document your life! Right now, I'm trying to find a happy medium between talking about the things I love and what is actually, currently going on in my life. And if you ask me? I definitely agree that you've got to break out that handwritten journal again soon! :p

      Delete
  4. I LOVE journaling. I am using my Day Designer to help me get motivated with goals/gratitudes/etc.... I sometimes just like to doodle in the journal. Anything that makes me happy! :) www.GlamKaren.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH! Don't you just love the Day Designer!? I use one too; it helps me to keep my various tasks organized as both a student and blogger, as well as all of my extracurricular and social activities and appointments. Yes, yes, yes! The "top 3" and gratitude sections are my absolute favorite - it's so lovely to know that you appreciate these too! :)

      Delete