Pink Paw Print

Saturday, January 31, 2015

War of the (Social Media) Worlds

So, because it's a Saturday night I'll promise to keep this short ;). But today, I was ruminating on the idea that it seems like there's a war of the (social media) worlds going on - every platform is competing for your attention!

You've got your classics: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Then there's Pinterest, Bloglovin', and Tumblr. Then you've got the more "professional" ones: LinkedIn, Google+ (which could also be more "social", but not necessarily), About.me, Mightybell….And the team-project ones: Slack, Trello, Asana. These are only some of the most well-known types of social media! But, how do you know which are right for you, you may ask!?

Personally, I use (click the links to connect with me) Facebook, Bloglovin (of course!), Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, About.Me, and Mightybell.

Although I had a Tumblr back in my senior year of high school/freshman year of college, I soon forgot my email and password for it. I feel like Pinterest is a much more organized version of Tumblr - and I love being organized. Anyone who knows me personally can attest that, at least once, when they've wanted to come visit me in my dorm room at a time when it's superbly messy, I'd either thrown them out when they tried to barge in or shut the door in their face before they could even step a toe inside!
My humble abode -aka dorm room- when it's (actually) clean!

It can get pretty tricky to keep up with the madness that is posting/uploading/whatever it is that people do on the aforementioned platforms, on the regular - although Facebook and Twitter are my daily go-to's! Isn't it crazy to remember the times when DVDs didn't exist, and people didn't have iPods or laptops!? Although it can be ~quite~ overwhelming, I definitely think that even if technology can at times appear to be a "necessary evil", the pros ultimately outweigh the cons.


What are your favorite types of social media to use? How often do you update your accounts? Do you have any clever tricks/strategies to managing your social media posts efficiently?
xoxo, Brooke

10 comments:

  1. It really is kinda alarming how quickly things have changed! (I can't imagine life without the internet anymore, and have unfortunately gotten really dependent on my phone.)

    I hadn't heard about a couple of these! I mainly use bloglovin' to read other blog posts, use pinterest for recipes/pretty pictures, twitter to promote others' posts, and facebook [groups] to connect with different networks. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I know, right!? It's simply unimaginable!! Pinterest has -amazing- recipes; I definitely agree with you on that! :)

      Delete
  2. I like Twitter and Instagram, but as I work in social media professionally along with being a blogger I have to be on or check a lot of channels - there are so many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow!! I can imagine that social media for professional purposes alone would require (naturally) using social media quite frequently, but being a blogger increases that need by a lot, I am sure! Consider me impressed, haha! :p

      Delete
  3. I think twitter is the quickest and most effective way to share small amounts of info! It's so easy for people to share your thoughts. It's definitely my favorite!

    Tiffani
    notyouraveragesouthernbell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely!! I love Twitter too, just for that reason. I love hearing other people's thoughts and opinions, so I like to view each tweet as a "mini blog post", of sorts! :p

      Delete
  4. Can you suggest away to remember all my different passwords for all my accounts? I'm always getting them mixed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a little notebook where you write them all down definitely helps!! Just don't let anybody see that notebook, haha! ;)

      Delete
  5. I'm a pinterest (/laura_caity) and instagram (/cookwineandthinker) lover. I have a tumblr/twitter/facebook/googleplus account but they're largely ignored.

    I'm a huge believer though in that people and brands should just use the platform that's right for them, and not worry so much about letting the others fall away.

    I don't have bloglovin' yet but I've been meaning to get on that...
    www.cookwineandthinker.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "But they're largely ignored"….hahaha that is too funny!! I agree with you so so much that people should focus in on the platform(s) that are best for their unique brand. Ahhhh - you've definitely got to get on that! Let me know when you've created a Bloglovin' account!! :)

      Delete