Pink Paw Print

Friday, January 16, 2015

Currently Trending

I've decided to launch a series of weekly posts talking about what is currently on my culture radar! Here's the low-down for this week:

Reading: The Paris Wife
Image Credit

This book is SO good!! Okay, okay fine, so I'm still on Chapter Two… but the first few pages I've read!? Quite intriguing! It's supposedly a masterful work of historical fiction - which ordinarily I'd pass on, or at least it's certainly not my favorite genre out there in the world of books - in the point of view of Hadley Richardson, Ernest Hemingway's wife, telling the readers about their relationship. Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I almost decided not to buy the book at the last moment because I heard the ending is "heartbreaking" (hellooo, did they miss the memo that all love stories, ever, should always have a "happily ever after ending"!?), but I decided to buy it anyway - along with a box of tissues - because it's about ERNEST HEMINGWAY.

Watching: House of DVF
Image Credit
In my vow to become less pop-culturally challenged watch more television, House of DVF is my first attempt. Anything involving fashion, you can count me in for! Again, similarly to how I'm not that far through The Paris Wife, I'm on the first episode. I'm really rooting from that girl that everyone says reminds them of the Jersey Shore - she just seems so genuine, bubbly, and enthusiastic about the opportunity to become a global brand ambassador whereas the other girls seem more… scary-competitive *casually gnaws away fingernails in suspense of who will ultimately be chosen* !

Wearing: my trusty, neon Asics sneakers
Image Credit
I'll definitely get around to posting about how to cope with a chronic injury *sobs* but my tendonitis in my knees is severely acting up from both this uber-chilly weather & from wearing one pair of heels too many… so I've been wearing these shoes everyday now. I will never be a sweatshirt, jeans, and sneakers kind of girl, and I definitely don't feel like "me" when I'm not wearing some sort of wedge-heel booties with a cute skirt and super-girly top… but to be honest, if I'm going to be subjected to wearing sneakers… you better believe they're going to be unabashedly colorful! Love love love these.

Listening to: "Love Me Like You Do - From 'Fifty Shades of Grey' " by Ellie Goulding


The thing I absolutely adore most about Ellie Goulding's unique voice is how emotionally-raw it is. You can practically feel how much the words mean to her; she isn't just singing any random words - they really have meaning to her! And to me, that makes her an exceptional artist.

 Inspired by: Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook and author of Lean In & Lean In: For Graduates
Image Credit

*bows down to her greatness* I can honestly say that this book entirely changed my life. I grew up thinking that men work and women take care of families, that this was just the way things were. When I got to my liberal arts college (emphasis there on the liberal!) I began to realize that this was not "just the way things were". Author and Co-Founder of LeanIn.org Sheryl Sandberg promotes the idea that all genders should have equality, both in the workplace and the home. SHERYL, I LOVE YOUR WORK!!! (Please, please tell me that you all get the Mean Girls reference… the whole Damien-chasing-the-girl-out-of-the-bathroom-by-saying-Danny-DeVito-I-love-your-work-thing… anyone?? Anyone!?! Maybe I know a thing or two about movies/television, after all ;) hahaha!)

What's currently trending in your life? Any suggestions for a read, watch, wear, listen, or inspirational figure?
xoxo, Brooke

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Definitely, Rebecca! Personally, I think they're one of the best brands of running shoes, by far!!

      Delete